If you work shifts like me, you'll know that slight dread of knowing your night shifts are coming up. It's not that I hate working nights, it just really confuses my body clock. I try to prepare myself before a stint of nights, with a little routine which I thought I would share and give a few little tips of how to survive the night shift.
1. Stay up late and get up early - the night before my first night shift, I try to make myself stay up later than usual but get up at my normal time, around 6am. That way I know I'm going to be tired enough to managed a nap around 3pm.
2. Keep yourself entertained - If like me, you get that little 'lull' of tiredness on your break, I need to have something to do. I tend to take my iPad and headphones to watch YouTube or catch up with blogs.
3. Keep hydrated - I find getting through the night is so much easier if I've drank lots. I feel like I get a good pick-me-up from something refreshing and it keeps me going all night.
4. Sugary Snacks - I don't have a proper meal on night shifts, I tend to have tea before I go and just take something little with me for break time. I either take some fruit or stock up on snack bars for a quick pick me up.
5. Prepare for some sleep - It can be pretty difficult to sleep after your night shift, when the world is awake and all you need is some shut eye. I make sure I'm in the zone by doing my regular routine before bed and making my room as dark as possible. For me it's all about the eye mask and some decent ear plugs.
What are your tips for night shifts?